Electrical problems in your home don't always mean that the power actually goes out completely. Very often wires will be overloaded or become frayed and bare and need changing, but they will still provide some power to areas of the home. You may also not realize the signs of damage to wiring and electrical components, which can put your home at risk for an electrical fire or complete blackout. Note when it's good to call an electrical contractor to your home and why, even if you're still getting electrical power.
If you notice rust around the circuit box in your home or connections and wiring to the hot water heater, or notice any type of debris coming from an outlet, it's time to call an electrical contractor. Rust means that there has been water damage somewhere near the wiring, and since water conducts electricity, this can be very hazardous. You need to find the source of this water leak and have that repaired, and then repair or replace the circuit box, wiring to the hot water heater and anything else damaged by rust or the water leak itself.
2. If insulation is stuck to wiring
If you're remodeling your home and need to remove the insulation in the attic or elsewhere, be careful of wiring you find behind the fiberglass or that has stuck to blown foam. If the wiring is stuck to insulation this might meant that there are bare areas along the wiring, and sparks or corrosion have caused the wires to stick to insulation. No matter the cause, pulling out the insulation when wiring is stuck to it can mean pulling out the wiring along with it. This can be very dangerous, so it's best to have an electrical contractor remove the insulation and replace the wiring as needed.
3. If your home has been flooded or otherwise damaged
After a flood or fire, you want to call an electrical contractor to your home to inspect the wiring before you use any type of electrical appliance. It's easy to forget how flood waters can seep behind walls and surround electrical wiring, and if these wires and connections are damaged and still wet, this can put your home at risk for an electrical fire. If your home has already had a fire, you also want to ensure the wiring has not been damaged and the fire or hot smoke didn't corrode the protective plastic coating of any wires.Share
5 October 2015
Hi, if you want to have a healthy and safe home or business, your electrics have to be in good order. That is why it helps to do a lot of research before hiring an electrician, and it is also a good idea to know a bit about the basics of electricity, home installation and related topics. Hi, my name is Tim. I am not an electrician, but I have worked closely with electricians in my job as a general contractor. I wanted to explore a bit more about what they do, and I also wanted to create a space full of tips and ideas for home and business owners. Please, explore this space and enjoy reading.